Sen. Alan Lowenthal has recognized 17 of his constituents as “Women of Distinction” for their leadership and community service throughout the 27th Senate District over the past year.
Lowenthal celebrated each of the honorees and presented them with framed certificates of recognition at a reception on April 19 at Sababa Restaurant in Long Beach.
This year’s honorees, representing many cities across the 27th District, were nominated in March by representatives of local government agencies throughout the 27th District.
“Representing the 27th Senate District has provided me with wonderful opportunities to meet and get to know so many community members who contribute and dedicate their time, talent and leadership to community service,” Lowenthal said. “It is my honor to recognize and celebrate this year’s ‘Women of Distinction’ recipients for doing just that on a daily basis. Each of them has made a significant and positive difference in their respective communities.”
Held throughout the state by members of the Legislature, the annual event was started in 1987 by Assemblymember Bev Hansen and Assemblymember Sally Tanner, as a way of honoring women during the month of March, which is Women’s History Month.
This year’s honorees are:
• Maria Alvarado, nominated by Lynwood Mayor Jim Morton
• Lucy Avalos, nominated by Lynwood Mayor Jim Morton
• Paulette Bradley, nominated by Lynwood Mayor Jim Morton
• Doris Cooper-Robinson, nominated by LBUSD Board of Education President Felton Williams
• Michele Diaz, nominated by Artesia Councilmember Victor Manalo
• Cindy Galindo, nominated by Maribel Balderas, City of Downey
• Linda Manis, nominated by Peggy Beam, City of Lakewood
• Valerie Mason, nominated by Hawaiian Gardens Mayor Mike Gomez
• Stacey Morrison, nominated by Long Beach Councilmember James Johnson
• Lorene Reed, nominated by Lynwood Mayor Jim Morton
• Terry Rogers, nominated by past Signal Hill Mayor and current Councilmember Larry Forester
• Martina Rodriguez, nominated by Lynwood Mayor Jim Morton
• Claudia Schou, nominated by Long Beach Vice Mayor Suja Lowenthal
• Dr. Mary Sieu, nominated by Ann Griffo, ABC Unified School District
• Cynde Soto, nominated by Long Beach Councilmember Robert Garcia
• Dianne Stone, nominated by Avalon Councilmember Tim Winslow
• Virgie Wade, nominated by Long Beach Councilmember Dee Andrews
Senator Lowenthal recognizes ‘Women of Distinction’ for leadership and community service
April 27th, 2012 · No Comments · Community