As 2012 comes to a close, it is worth taking the time to review all that we have accomplished. Here in the 7th District, we have moved forward with some great projects, including:
• the opening of the first four acres of Willow Springs Park, which will be the biggest park in Long Beach since 1952 when completed
• beginning the Willow Street mobility project in Wrigley, which will help improve the physical infrastructure of this important corridor, help attract quality businesses, and improve quality of life
• obtaining funding for an urban forest of 6,000 new trees in west Long Beach, Wrigley, Los Cerritos, and parts of California Heights as well as additional LED lighting at key intersections to improve public safety while saving energy
• and much, much, more, such as the repaving of Wardlow Road, the beginning of a “Green Wall” to protect residents from the impacts of the Terminal Island Freeway, the start of a new farmer’s market at Admiral Kidd Park, proceeding with the design of the new Wrigley Greenbelt along the L.A. River, maintaining the historic lampposts in California Heights, and the reinstitution of public-access television at the Community Access Partnership
Citywide, we accomplished much as well, including:
• preserving sidewalk repair funding instead of shifting the responsibility to homeowners like other cities have done
• reinstating citywide street maintenance, improving our streets while saving tens of millions of dollars over the long-run.
• opening a modernized airport terminal that improves our economy but is the right size for our city, protecting our neighborhoods
• being awarded a top score for ensuring the equality and civil rights of its citizens regardless of sexual orientation
• streamlining City Hall by cutting red tape to be more business-friendly
• maintaining our “AA-” bond rating and our reputation for fiscal prudence while other cities saw downgrades
• restoring regular tree trimming on a five-year cycle in our neighborhoods
I wish you and your family a happy and healthy New Year. On to 2013!
Long Beach Councilmember