On Saturday, Dec. 29, 2012, the Long Beach Police Department (LBPD) conducted a “driving under the influence/drivers license” checkpoint on Pacific Coast Highway, south of 2nd Street. Long Beach Police Explorers, Senior Police Partners, Public Works, and Long Beach Search and Rescue aided the police officers at the checkpoint.
The checkpoint operated from 7pm to 3am with the following results:
• 1,096 vehicles passed through the checkpoint
• 542 vehicles were screened for impairment
• One person was arrested for driving under the influence
• Three people were cited for driving with suspended licenses
• Three vehicles were impounded because the drivers had suspended licenses
• One vehicle was towed
• Seven drivers were issued traffic citations
This operation was funded through a grant from the California Office of Traffic Safety through the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration. For further information, contact Sergeant Douglas Bender of the LBPD Traffic Section at (562) 570-7484.