Olympic diving star Greg Louganis (above left) with 2012 Olympic diving athlete Cassidy Krug (above right) attended the Long Beach City Council meeting on Tuesday, Feb. 12, along with several other diving athletes and scores of kids and adults who packed City Hall, to show support for construction of a pool complex that would accommodate diving. The Belmont Pool was closed last month when it was deemed unsafe should a moderate earthquake strike.
On Wednesday, 4th District Councilmember Patrick O’Donnell issued a statement extending thanks to those who offered support and technical expertise for the project. “At last night’s city council meeting, a plan put forward by myself and Gary DeLong to rebuild and increase the size of the Belmont Pool passed unanimously,” O’Donnell said. “There was great community support, not to mention the Olympians, swimmers and divers that showed up to offer support for the plan which will about double the amount of pool space that the facility presently has for use. The Long Beach tradition of aquatics will continue.”
According to O’Donnell, the funds to reconstruct the facility will come from the Tidelands fund, which derives its revenues from oil production. He said those funds may only be used along the beachfront area and that the plan approved Tuesday night will accommodate swimmers, divers and water polo.