The Instrument Petting Zoo introduces young children to the instruments of the orchestra. Volunteers from Ovation!, the Long Beach Symphony Orchestra’s volunteer group that supports the Orchestra’s artistic, cultural and music education programs, lead a short presentation that explains the different string, woodwind, brass, and percussion instruments. The children are then allowed to try as many instruments as they like.
The goal of the Instrument Petting Zoo is to allow children to be exposed to and gain an interest in the instruments of the orchestra before they have a visit from an LBSO ensemble in the 2nd and 3rd grades.
This year, the eight library visits will be:
• Saturday, June 15, noon to 1pm– Main Library, 101 Pacific Ave.
• Tuesday, July 9, 2pm to 3pm– North Neighborhood Library, 5571 Orange Ave.
• Wednesday, July 10, 2pm to 3pm– Bay Shore Library, 195 Bay Shore Ave.
• Thursday, July 11, 2pm to 3pm– El Dorado Library, 2900 Studebaker Rd.
• Friday, July 12, 2pm to 3pm– Los Altos Library, 5614 E. Britton Dr.
• Saturday, July 13, 2pm to 3pm– Alamitos Library, 1836 E. Third St. 90802
• Tuesday, July 16, 2pm to 3pm– Bret Harte Library, 1595 W. Willow St.
• Wednesday, August 7, 3pm to 4pm– Cerritos Library, 18025 Bloomfield Ave., Cerritos
For more information, contact the Children’s librarian at each branch.