The Long Beach Police Department (LBPD) issued a press release Tuesday with information pertaining to an officer-involved shooting. According to the release, on Monday, July 22 at approximately 6pm, LBPD officers responded to the 800 block of Washington Place regarding a “man with a gun” call, which resulted in the shooting.
The LBPD released the following information in bullet points:
• Officers were dispatched to the location and advised while en route that a male subject was waving a gun around and threatening to shoot people
• Upon arrival, an officer encountered an armed male subject matching the suspect’s description
• During the encounter between the officer and the suspect, an officer-involved shooting occurred, and the suspect was struck by gunfire
• After the shooting, the suspect fled into an apartment but surrendered a short time later
• The suspect was transported to a local hospital for treatment and is listed in stable condition
• A replica firearm was located at the scene
• The suspect has been identified as 27-year-old Tyrone Davis of Long Beach
• Although the suspect does not reside at the location, detectives believe he stays there occasionally
• Davis is currently being held without bail on a parole violation while the investigation continues
• Investigators will be presenting the case to the Los Angeles County District Attorney’s Office, where Davis may face charges of criminal threats, threatening someone with a replica firearm, and witness intimidation relating to an unrelated investigation
The Los Angeles County District Attorney’s Office is conducting an independent investigation of the shooting, as they do with all officer-involved shootings that occur in Los Angeles County that result in injury or death.
Those with information regarding this incident are encouraged to contact Long Beach Police Homicide Detectives Mark McGuire and Greg Krabbe at (562) 570-7244. Anonymous tips may be submitted by calling 1-800-222-TIPS (8477), texting TIPLA plus your tip to CRIMES (274637), or visiting lacrimestoppers.org .