The following article was submitted by Belinda Watson, Tutor Doctor franchise owner.
Struggling academically or doing a little extra tutoring to bring up a grade-point average is a natural part of growing up. Most students need a little extra help from time to time, and getting a professional in-home tutor is the best choice for improving grades.
One-on-one tutoring will mean that a student gets all the help he or she needs. There are so many benefits to tutoring, but finding the right tutor to suit a student will help them get the best out of the situation.
Benefits of effective tutors
• Effective tutors are able to identify the gaps in student’s knowledge and fill in the building blocks for them.
• Effective tutors focus on teaching the skills students need to excel, rather than just disseminating information.
• Each student has a learning style. Effective tutors are able to identify the learning styles of each student and then present information in ways that the student understands.
• One-on-one tutoring gives students the opportunity to answer without fear of embarrassment, which helps them to build confidence and improves performance.
• Effective tutors teach students study methods that work for them. They can help students to study for exams and tests, help with homework, help them to effectively manage their time and compile study schedules that leave enough time to study for each subject.
• In-home tutors can fit in with parents’ schedules so they aren’t inconvenienced.
• Confidence gained through tutoring will help reduce the anxiety a student feels in academic situations.
Start by talking with the student and his or her teacher. This will help to ascertain exactly what difficulties the student is having. Knowing exactly what the problem is will help in finding a tutor that is the right fit.
The success of a tutoring program depends on the student, so get their opinions and input so that they are part of the process.
Ensure that the tutors have the right qualifications to teach the student. Ask about their experience levels and what experience they have with the grade the student is in and the kinds of problems they are having.
Work with the student, teachers and tutor to set very clear goals. Ensure that the academic goals are realistic and achievable.
If the tutor isn’t a good fit for the student, feel free to ask for a different tutor. Getting the right tutor will exponentially improve the student’s performance.
In-home tutors are able to give the student their undivided attention, but there are alternatives like extra classes which are given at a tutoring center, online courses or phone tutoring, which reduce the costs of tutoring for families.
Watson may be reached at (562) 426-9706.