Courtesy of City of Signal Hill
The City of Signal Hill is asking residents to help prevent a water shortage by saving 50 gallons a day. It’s easy. Here’s how:
• Take shorter showers. Shortening it by five minutes can save 12 gallons. A family of four can save 48 gallons a day.
• Turn off the water when you brush your teeth. This can save five gallons with each brushing. A family of four can save 20 to 40 gallons a day.
• Go to the carwash. Carwashes recycle the water they use. This can save 150 gallons each wash.
• If you wash your own car, put a nozzle on the hose. This can save 50 gallons.
• Fix dripping faucets. This can save 20 gallons of water a day.
• Use a broom instead of a hose to clean your driveway, patio, deck or walkway. This can save 50 to 100 gallons.
• Replace old toilets. New toilets save two to four gallons per flush. The City has rebate forms for new toilets and will help you fill them out.
For more information, visit www.cityofsignalhill.org.