Long Beach Airport (LGB) hosted a ribbon-cutting ceremony on Wednesday, Nov. 22 to celebrate completed renovations to Parking Structure A. The improvements to the parking structure are intended to provide flexibility for those traveling during the holiday season.
“This project is a part of a larger vision of ensuring that the Long Beach Airport remains a world-class airport for ease and efficiency for residents and visitors alike,” said Long Beach Mayor Robert Garcia.
Parking Structure A closed Jan. 7 in preparation for the renovations. The improvements to the structure seek to improve pedestrian and vehicular traffic flow. They consist of:
– New dual-cab elevator tower with glass windows overlooking the Historic Terminal and LGB airfield.
– New outdoor metal stairwell adjacent to the elevator tower.
– New dual-lane passenger vehicle exit.
– Implementation of airport wayfinding sign programs.
– Significant aesthetic improvements, including interior and exterior painting and landscaping areas surrounding the structure.
– The replacement of over 240 high-pressured sodium (HPS) fixtures with new energy efficient LED lighting.
– Restriping throughout the parking structure.
– The addition of 80 clean-air vehicle parking spaces, as required per California Green Building Standards Code.
“Long Beach is beaming with pride today,” said Stacy Mungo, 5th district councilmember. “The improvements to the parking structure not only offer accessibility and safety for travelers, but truly complement our award-winning facility.”
The parking structure provides more than 1,000 parking spaces within walking distance of the terminal. The parking structure renovation project was awarded to R.J. Daum Construction Company. The total cost of construction was $5 million.
“Long Beach Airport strives to provide a first-class experience for all,” said LGB Director Jess Romo. “The renovations to Parking Structure A will enhance the travel experience by providing greater accessibility just steps away from the terminal.”
Self-parking is available in Parking Structures A and B at the rate of $2 per hour, with a maximum of $19 per day in Parking Structure A and $17 in Parking Structure B. For general parking information, contact ABM Parking Services at (562) 377-6116.
Source: City of LB