In recognition of Better Hearing Month, which takes place during May, Dr. David DeKriek of Fidelity Hearing Center in Cerritos, is sponsoring an essay contest to assist someone who has a hearing impairment. The winner of the essay contest will win a pair of premium digital hearing aids, with state-of-the-art feedback management and automatic directional speech detection. The hearing aids will be donated by Jonathan Walker of Starkey Laboratories, the world’s largest manufacturer of custom hearing aids.
The contest is open to anyone who is suffering from a hearing impairment or who has a friend or family member who needs new hearing aids. To enter the contest, write a 250-word essay explaining why this person needs the hearing aids and how the hearing aids will improve the person’s enjoyment of life.
In addition to the complimentary hearing aids, DeKriek will provide all the testing and services necessary to ensure proper fit for the winner.
The contest rules are:
• The 250-word essay may be written by the person suffering the hearing loss or a friend or family member may write the essay.
• The essay should tell why the person needs hearing aids and how the hearing aids will improve his or her life.
• Entries must include the full name, address, phone number (or email) of the potential recipient and the essay writer.
• The essay must be received by Friday, April 30, 2010.
• The winner must agree to have his or her name and story announced, along with a photo, by local news media.
The winner will be announced on May 14, 2010. The contest will be judged by: Dan Gallegos, the 2009 winner of the free hearing aids; Ellen Mathis, former president of the Hearing Loss Association of America (Lakewood/Long Beach chapter); Walker; and DeKriek.
For more information, call (562) 275-3602 or visit FidelityHearingCenter.com. Contest entries should be sent to:
Fidelity Hearing Center
13079 Artesia Blvd, B-104
Cerritos, CA 90703